Monday, April 27, 2020

Boy Scientists



Those are common daisies.  Not everyone knows that.

I was a smart kid.  A very smart kid   I had a chemistry set.  It was really, I mean, I could make smoke and bubbles, it was big.  A really good chemistry set. Big.  Not everyone had a chemistry set, but I did.  I had a microscope, too.  It made little things look big, but I was a smart kid, and I knew they were still little.  There are a lot of little things, but there are some big ones, too.  My chemistry set was a big one.

My half-uncle Frank had a chemistry set, too, but his wasn't as big.  It was a really good chemistry set, really good, but it just wasn't as big as mine.  Not everyone knows what a half-uncle is, but I had one.  He was a really good half-uncle. He grew up and made a lot of money, so I guess he was pretty smart, too.  But I was older.  I was born first.

So we grew up in the fifties.  Those were hard times.  There were Russians.  Now I love Russians.  Some of them are really great people.  Really good people.  Some of them have a lot of power.  But those were  hard times.  Lots of dangers.  There were atoms.  And communisms.  Atoms are really small.  Not everyone knows that, cause, you know, sometimes atoms are strong.  There are powerful atoms.  If they were smart, they'd make a bunch of money.  I'm being sarcastic, but my half-uncle Frank made a bunch of money, He was a really good person.

So we had goals, Frank and I.  It's good to have goals.  Some kids, they don't have any goals, and they end up in jail.  Sad.  I've known folks like that.  Some of them are great folks, but, sad, they end up in jail.  Frank and I had goals.  We were gonna keep the russians and their atums out of the United States.  It's a great country, the United States, and we didn't want Russians to come in if they were gonna bring their atoms and communism.  Some russians are very good cooks, though.  In my home town there were some Poles.  They were very good cooks.  Great pickles.  Really good pickles.  And sandwiches  The Poles had come to run away from the Russians and their communism.  And the atoms.  Zeke didn't put any adams in his coffee. He and Verla were good people.  Maybe not all Poles are good people.  Some Poles aren't even people.  Newspapers have poles and they're not people.  Newspaper poles are fake news.  Lies. Frank wasn't a Pole.  He was my half-uncle.

Frank and I had chemistry sets.  We were gonna keep out the Rushuns.  So on Saturdays sometimes we worked in our lab and didn't go to the movies.  There were really good movies then.  A lot of them were based on the Bible.  I never did see the one about the two Corinthians.  We didn't have any bars in my hometown, but we had good pickles.  Good watermelons, too.  The best watermelons came from Lake City.  My grandfather helped build the bridge at Lake City.  He dropped his hammer in the river.  It was the St. Francis River.  It was a really good river.  Well, sometimes it flooded.  Floods can make a big mess.  Really big messes.  Not as big as the messes the Mississippi River made.  It made the biggest messes.  Really huge messes.  So Frank and I were gonna keep out the Russions so they couldn't have any of our mess.  Cause the messes grew good cotton.  Who knew?

Frank and I we needed bombs.  To use against the russians.  We made all kinds of great weapons, the best, weapons, to throw at the Russians when they came.  But we needed something to blow them up with.  So we put common daisies in fruit jars.  Mason Jars, mostly.  Not everyone has Mason Jars any more.  Great State, Iowa.  Mason City.  I also played trumpet in a band.  I was a great trumpet player, but I was the best scientist.  America would be great again if we still had Mason jars.  When we put the flowers in mason jars with water and left them out in the sun--kids could play in the sun then, we took off our shirts and got freckles.   I had a lot of freckles.  The jars got bubbles, and sometimes they exploded.  We--my half-uncle Frank and I were also making a rocket to explore space, so we liked those explosions.  We wanted really big explosions so we could blow up Russians and send our rockets to the Moon.  We also planned a trip to Mars.  Really big trips.  We planned the best trips.

Then I got a fly rod.  It was a great fly rod.  It came from Japan.  It was made out uv bamboo.  The Japanese used to be bad people, but the United States, a great country, used atoms on Japan.  Our atoms made Japan good, and they made good fly rods.  I went fishing on Saturdays.  Lots of fish.  Big fish.  Boeing,  great company boeing.  Kinda like boing boing.  Boing made great big planes to keep out the Russians, so Frank and I could go fishing on Saturdays.  I had a bamboo fly rod.  It was made in Japan.  Frank had a glass rod.  It was made in Wisconsin.  Great state Wisconsin.  I went there one summer, but I didn't take my fly rod.

So, I'm not a scientist any more.  But I remember those Mason jars with daisies in them, and they got filled up with bubbles.  And I think it might be great to use those daisies against the Virus.  They'd be easy to enjest.  You could mix a little honey in with 'em two, I guess.  Great workers those bees.  So, I'm not a scientist.  I'd love to spend several saturdays in the lab, but it's an emergency.  And I have a really good feeling about those daisies.

No comments:

Post a Comment